I recently watched Evan Charmichael’s video compiling 10 clips of Elon Musk talking about success:
It’s amazing how many of the principles overlap with Jim Collin’s Good to Great (GTG) principles. Here’s a summary of the principles from the video:
- Persevere: Never give up. This is reminiscent of the GTG principle “confront the brutal facts, but never give up hope”.
- Find your avocation: Do what you love. This is one of the three circles of the GTG “hedgehog concept”.
- Don’t listen to doubters: Do what others don’t believe is possible.
- Take risks while you are young: Be bold. This is reminiscent of the Built to Last concept of “Big Hairy Audacious Goals” (BHAGs).
- Do things because they’re important, not because you are sure you’ll succeed
- Do things that really improve your product.
- Look for the real problem solvers: if someone really solved a problem, they’ll remember the details.
- Attract great people. This is the GTG principle “get the right people on the bus”.
- Be great: To compete against an incumbent, it’s not sufficient to be incrementally better.
- Outwork the competition. This fits well with the GTG principle of “the fly wheel”.